It’s very likely that by the time you read this, you may have already heard the rumor that FC Dallas midfielder Carlos Gruezo is heading back to Germany. So let’s talk details and source of said rumor.
Here is your source:
Oscar Portilla, who covers Ecuadorian soccer, is the person reporting this rumor on the video. He has quite a few juicy details.
- FC Augsburg (Bundesliga) is Gruezo’s new team.
- Negotiations between FC Augsburg and MLS, have been ongoing for 3 weeks, and are nearing completion.
- It is said to be a four-year deal
- Gruezo is expected to earn a significant pay raise. Said to be around 3X his current salary (current salary is just over 1 million)
- FC Augsburg scouts have been following Gruezo for a long time.
If true, this will be a massive win for Gruezo, who is greatly disliked by the most vocal Ecuador fans. Much of this dislike, can be traced back to Gruezo’s play for the Ecuador national team, during the 2014 World Cup, when Gruezo was only 19 years old! Combine that with his eventual move from the Bundesliga, to the greatly maligned MLS, and perception of him in Ecuador has pretty much remained unchanged since 2014. Needless to say, these news have caused quite a stir back in Ecuador.
Here in the States, FCD fans have long suspected a return to Europe for Gruezo. Speculation of his return to Europe only grew, with recent comments from Dan Hunt, that FCD would be selling a player to Europe.
What do you think of this move? Does it make sense? Can FCD afford to move on from such a critical member of the squad? Is FCD hurting it’s playoff chances with another sale of a starter, mid season?