clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

FC Dallas overcomes early DC United goal, doesn’t look back en route to 4-2 Independence Day victory

The ones following the match weren’t the only fireworks on display Tuesday night in Frisco.

MLS: D.C. United at FC Dallas Jerome Miron-USA TODAY Sports

On a balmy night in Frisco, while much of the Toyota Stadium crowd was awaiting postgame fireworks, FC Dallas and D.C. United did their best to steal the show, combining for six goals in a 4-2 win for FC Dallas.

The visitors from D.C. started the scoring in the 30th minute behind a wonderful strike from Ian Harkes for his first career goal. Patrick Nyarko found Harkes wide-open at the top of the box and his first-time shot struck the upper right post and caromed in to the side-netting.

FC Dallas didn’t take long to get back on level terms, however, as a Victor Ulloa corner kick found a rising Atiba Harris in the 41st minute for his first goal on the campaign and 30th of his career.

FC Dallas continued to keep up pressure going into the break and found pay dirt in the third minute of stoppage time as Ryan Hollingshead came down the left side, looking for a cutting Maxi Urruti. Urruti’s touch couldn’t send it quick enough towards goal, but his effort was eventually slotted into the net by Roland Lamah after Hollingshead and several United defenders failed to get a touch to it.

FC Dallas wasn’t done with their furious comeback, as just moments into the second half, Maxi Urruti and Roland Lamah scored their 11th and eighth goals of the season, respectively.

Urruti scored FCD’s third off a Michael Barrios feed, angling in a tight shot from the right side that split the legs of United keeper Travis Worra in the 46th minute.

Lamah made it 4-1 moments later in the 55th minute off yet another Barrios assist, his 10th of the season, after darting down the middle of the box and beating a DC defender to the ball to place a strike past Worra’s left side.

United quickly countered with a Deshorn Brown goal in the 57th, but failed to regain the control they once had on the game early in the first half.

FC Dallas saw out the remaining third of a match that stayed fairly wide-open despite draining humidity and tired legs after just two days rest for both teams.

With the night’s offensive explosion, FC Dallas managed to score at least three goals in three straight home matches for the first time since 2001.

FCD turns it’s attention now to July 11th and their U.S. Open Cup Quarterfinal date with Sporting Kansas City in Kansas City, MO. That game will kick off at 7:30 p.m. CT.