As the U.S. Soccer Development Academy regular season wraps up for FC Dallas in a few weeks, the Development Academy playoffs begin and the future stars of Major League Soccer will be on display once again. So, I thought it'd be a great idea to take a look at some of the potential players FCD could sign as the next Homegrown.
It's safe to say Dallas is one of the most talented and decorated academies in the country. With all this talent, you wish FCD would finally take that step and get a USL team already to sign more players and develop them quicker. Guys like Coy Craft and Alex Zendejas would benefit big time. That's another story for another time. Hopefully sooner rather than later.
Kellyn Acosta, Victor Ulloa, and Jesse Gonzalez. Who's next? Let's take a look at my top five.
1. Weston McKennie - McKennie is the most MLS-ready guy in the FCD Academy in my opinion. The center midfielder has captained FCD and U.S. national youth teams for years. Most recently, he was named the Player of the Tournament as the US U-19s defeated Russia to win the Slovakia Cup. McKennie's tied for the lead in goals (ten) for the FCD U-18s with forward Giovanni Montesdeoca. He's also a great guy and fits the FCD mold perfectly. Think Acosta, except he's more of an attacker. McKennie is currently committed to play at Virginia, but that could change should FCD look to add a Homegrown or two this summer.
2. Devin Vega - Vega is one heck of a prospect. The U-18 winger turns heads every time he plays. Vega tallied 21 goals last year for the U-16s, winning the Central Conference Player of the Year award, and leading the U-16s to win the USSDA playoffs. He's currently committed to play at Clemson.
3. Reggie Cannon - The U-18 fullback is a monster. Cannon is a consistent name on the USMNT youth team rosters and is committed to play at UCLA. Close second behind McKennie as far as MLS-ready FCD youth players. With the current situation at FCD on defense, maybe Cannon gets signed soon.
4. Paxton Pomykal - There it is. The name you've heard a lot about. Pomykal is young, but possibly the best prospect since Acosta. Maybe even better. The kid is good. He leads the U-16s every week and consistently features for the U-18s. Pomykal even plays up for the USMNT youth teams. The center mid is one to keep an eye on for sure. FCD might have to sign him this year before clubs in Europe snatch him up.
5. Jesus Ferreira - It's crazy to think the U-16s are even better than FCD's U-18s at their age, but they are. You all recognize this name. Yes, he is the son of former MLS MVP and FCD midfielder, David Ferreira. He's even younger than Pomykal and the forward is absolutely tearing it up in the USSDA. I don't see him getting signed this year, but he will be signed. It's just a matter of when.
There is no doubt in my mind that all five of these talented guys would be signed and playing for an FCD USL team if they had one. Just imagine Dallas' best Academy players forming one team and winning USL. Sigh. Soon enough guys, soon enough.