The FC Dallas Reserves lost their first game of the season on Tuesday night, a 3-2 decision to the USL PRO defending champions Orlando City SC.
The Lions got on the board with an early first half goal from Adama Mbengue. Orlando then picked things right up at the beginning of the second half with a goal from Kevin Molino, who also scored their game-winner in the 64th minute.
Dallas got their two goals in the second half as Academy player Diego De La Tejera scored in the 62nd minute off a Ryan Hollingshead pass. Hollingshead used his speed and athletic ability to get by his defender before sliding a pass to De La Tejera.
FCD got their second goal late in the game from second-year defender Walker Zimmerman. Academy star Aaron Meyer lobbed a ball into the top of the penalty box and Zimmerman snapped a header into the back of the net.
- This was a game that you could tell who was the team that had been playing together a bit longer and who was a team mixed with veterans, young players and academy players. Orlando looked calm and comfortable on the ball and really showed their quality in this game.
- Great to see Zimmerman go the full 90 and really give us some hope that he'll begin really pushing Stephen Keel for the starting spot in the Dallas defense.
- Five academy players played in this one, but really the more I see Meyer, the more I like out of that kid. My gut tells me he will eventually be the next Homegrown player on this team if he doesn't go straight to college.
- Still weird to see Brian Span play for Orlando and not FCD in this one. Weird loan there if you ask me. The guy is still a class act in my book though.
- Very nice to see Jonathan Top come back for this one as well. For those who didn't see it, he was named the USL PRO player of the week thanks to his game-winner over the weekend against Sacramento.