clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Potters Claim 1-0 Victory Over FC Dallas

First ever meeting between the two sides and the English team comes away with the win.

Cooper Neill

The first ever friendly between FC Dallas and Stoke City was fairly uneventful for both sides. Stoke City was able to score their first preseason win thanks to a first half goal from Jonathan Walters.

The 1-0 result was pretty troubling for Dallas, as it extends their goal drought in all competitions to five games.

FC Dallas manager Schellas Hyndman threw out a pretty strong lineup to start the friendly. The big changes however were seeing Homegrown defender Kellyn Acosta his first start with the club along with Jair Benitez in the midfield with Michel starting at left back.

Dallas was able to get some offense going on the right wing in the first half. In the 20th minute, Jackson stole the ball right at midfield, took the ball down the wing by beating one defender before laying it off to the run of Fabian Castillo. The Colombian pulled a dummy on a the pass from Jackson to allow Kenny Cooper to get the open shot but Stoke keeper Asmir Begovic stood tall on the shot to keep the game level.

Stoke found the break through in the 25th minute when Walters snuck through the Dallas defense thanks to Stephen Keel keeping him onside. Dallas looked for the offside on the play but Walters took the pass and slotted it home for the game's first goal.

As expected, Dallas made several changes throughout the night. Midway through the first half, newly signed Mauro Diaz made his debut for the club when he replaced Michel. Starting the second half, Hyndman brought in Chris Seitz, Ramon Nunez, Eric Hassli and Zach Loyd.

Midway through the second half Hyndman went to his bench again hoping to get some young guys some minutes. He brought in Bradlee Baladez and Jonathan Top while taking off Diaz and Castillo.

The game began to settle down for Dallas after the hour mark. Dallas found a nice way to spray balls from side to side, which opened the attack for them. The best chance came in the 65th minute when Dallas switched the point of attack twice on the Potters. Jair Benitez took the ball from the left side and found Nunez at the top of the box, his lay off to Baladez opened up Top whose shot sailed just high.

Stoke was able to hold off the Dallas attack in the second half while creating few chances of their own. In the 80th minute they were able to get a penalty kick when Keel brought down Kenwyne Jones in the box with an elbow to the his back. On the penalty kick though Seitz would come up with a huge diving save.

Moments later Andy Wilkinson got sent off when he took down Garcia.

In the dying seconds of the game Nunez took a free kick that beat the Stoke wall but backup keeper Thomas Sorenson came up huge on the save.

Dallas will return to league play next Saturday when they travel to Seattle.

(More on this coming up)