clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

RSL Routs FC Dallas 3-0

Dallas suffers their first home loss in nearly a year as RSL picks up their first win in Frisco.


For the first time ever in the State of Texas, Real Salt Lake has found three points. After going 0-18-3 in all competitions in the Lone Star State, RSL rode goals from Javier Morales, Ned Grabavoy, Olmes Garcia to beat FC Dallas 3-0.

The win pushed RSL's unbeaten run to 11-games and extended FC Dallas' winless run to seven games. The loss was also the first home loss since July 28, 2012, a 1-0 decision to LA.

Dallas had their chances early in the match - thanks mostly to Fabian Castillo - who able to get plenty of time on the ball and pressure RSL's defense. Six minutes in he took the ball from his own defensive end and drove it up to the opposite 18-yard box, cut inside on his defender and took a rip of a shot that would have likely gone in had it not been for the block of Kenny Cooper.

In the 26th minute, Cooper had another chance on the door step as Castillo danced his way into the penalty box by dribbling by four RSL defenders. Castillo's layoff to Cooper was perfectly placed but once again the veteran struggled to put it in the back of the net.

Salt Lake broke through in the 39th minute after a counter attack after a Dallas free kick. Kenny Mansally drove the ball up the field on the counter and passed the ball off to Morales, which hit off Zach Loyd. Morales took the ball and did the rest for the game's first goal.

Dallas had a couple chances in the second half as well once RSL subbed out keeper Josh Saunders, who left the game with a knee injury. In the 62nd minute, Castillo once again found his way into the penalty box thanks to some crafty dribbling but his shot on backup keeper Jeff Attinella's goal went just wide.

RSL failed to get much going in the second half but they found their second break through in the 79th minute when Morales drove to wing and laid the ball off for Mansally, who played a perfect ball back to the run of Grabavoy. The veteran midfielders blasted the ball into the back of the net.

Dallas had one late chance in the 88th minute when Castillo crossed the ball in the penalty box to Ramon Nunez, whose header was just pushed over the bar.

Seconds later Salt Lake charged forward for their third and final goal of the night when Garcia found some open space at the top of the penalty box and beat Raul Fernandez on the far post.

(More coming from this game later on)