It wasn't pretty but then again preseason scrimmages never really are. FC Dallas used a mix of starters, reserves, Homegrown players and trailists today in their first full game of the preseason. It took a stoppage time goal from SMU product and Supplemental Draft pick TJ Nelson to seal the deal as FC Dallas down the University of Memphis 2-1.
Homegrown signee Bradlee Baladez scored the game's first goal midway through the second half. The former South Carolina striker hammered home a nice ball from Cam Wilder that was perfectly crossed to him from trialist Michel.
The Brazilian Michel shined in the second half as he helped set up both Dallas goes.
Baladez did well in his 75 minutes or so on the field today, frustrating the Memphis backline and showing why Dallas put the faith in him to be signed early out of college. Early in the first half Baladez got on the end of a nice ball from captain David Ferreira but the young striker's shot sailed just wide of the Memphis keeper.
Defensively, Dallas played fairly well though the lone goal from Memphis was the low spot on the morning. Memphis took a bad ball from Supplemental Draft pick Cameron Brown and raced down the field to score the tying goal.
- Too damn early to tell much about most players.
- Michel looked miles better as a left back than he did as a center back (where he lined up to start the game). His two crosses that set up the two goals were great balls from the far side, something Dallas could use a good bit of.
- The lack of finishing was pretty clear on the morning. FC Dallas coach Schellas Hyndman told reporters after the game that it was the one area that they haven't spent a great deal of time on so far this preseason. I took that comment as they spent time on Picpico but that fell short.
- Speaking of Pipico, he's gone. Though some of you already knew that already. The club hasn't made anything formal but expect it to happen on Monday or Tuesday at the latest. Hyndman mention that there may have been some family issues going on that didn't help things out too.
- Kellyn Acosta looked very solid as a right back. Good on the ball, definitely needs a little more size on him but that will come soon enough. You can see why the club was quick to sign him as a 17-year old. I think we may see this kid actually get minutes this year.
- Victor Ulloa did not show too well. Honestly, I wouldn't be shocked at all to see him get cut at some point if he isn't careful.
- Peter Luccin was out walking around...but...with a limp of some sort. Oh boy. If that signing turns out to be a bust, you can bet lots of fingers will be pointed at Fernando Clavijo.
- Cam Wilder the Supplemental pick out of Kentucky wasn't bad in his 30 minutes on the field. He brought good pace and energy to the wings, something that wouldn't be the worst to have off the bench in late game situations.
- Lastly, Hyndman told reporters that they are taking the
trailists (sorry about that folks, I meant to say the Supplemental picks, had the quote wrong) to Mexico with them next week. Very interesting move, which shows you a couple of them will likely be sticking around for a while, maybe even for the season.
DAL - Bradlee Baladez (Cam Wilder, Michel) 66
MEM - Sherrod 74
DAL - TJ Nelson (Michel) 91+
FC Dallas Reserves - Chris Seitz, Jair Benitez, Michel, Stephen Keel, Zach Loyd, Bobby Warshaw, Jackson, Fabian Castillo, David Ferreira, Bradlee Baladez, Ryuta Sasaki.
Memphis - Conor Hurley, Adam Camilo, Chandler Gagon, JJ Greer, Will Linder 23), Austin Stone, Liam Collins, Chris Gardia (Patrick Toh 28), Shane Keely, Dennis Kennetz, Benji Ciosanski (Austin Gross 36), Mark Sherrod (Paul Langford 36).
FC Dallas Reserves - Kyle Zobeck, Michel, Stephen Keel, London Woodberry, Kellyn Acosta, Victor Ulloa, Jackson (Cam Wilder 54), Cameron Brown, David Ferreira (TJ Nelson 61), Bradlee Baladez (Ryuta Sasaki 75), Jonathan Top.
Memphis - Cody Uzcategui, Adam Camilo, Chandler Gagon, JJ Greer (Patrick Toh 82), Will Linder, Austin Stone, Liam Collins, Shane Keely, Dennis Kennetz, Chris Gardia, (Benji Ciosanski 77), Mark Sherrod.
MEM - Austin Stone (caution) 50