Steven Bisig-US PRESSWIRE
With just over two weeks until First Kick, how full is the FCD roster?
In alphabetical Order
1. Jair Benitez - Michel is definitely breathing down his neck, but Jair is the starter at left back for the time being.
2. Fabian Castillo - 2013 could be a huge year for Castillo in his third MLS season. Looking for big things from the Colombian out on the left side.
5. Jackson - I'm extremely interested to see what Jackson can do with all the other firepower around him. This is certainly the best offensive team since he joined in 2010 and if the Brazilian is one on one with defenders, which he will be all season, well there's the opportunity for destruction.
7. Andrew Jacobson - Looking like Jacobson could be the starting d-mid in the diamond midfield this year which would make him one of the X-factors of the season.
8. George John - New contract and new responsibilities for John who is really the anchor of the FCD defense now.
9. Stephen Keel - Some fantastic cheap depth at center back and good in the locker room too, Keel should be a fan favorite before the year is out.
10. Zach Loyd - The starting right back, can Loyd regain his 2011 form? 2012 wasn't a bad year for him, but he wasn't at his best the entire season.
11. Blas Perez - Pretty unquestionably a starting forward for FC Dallas when everyone is healthy, but PErez will miss the first two games of the season with suspension and could miss up to 10 more with Panama.
12. Chris Seitz - In great form right now, Seitz is really making a run at the #1 goalkeeper spot at least through the start of the season.
13. Bobby Warshaw - 2013 is a huge year for Warshaw to prove that 2012 was a fluke year with injuries. Right now, it seems that he's the first d-mid option off the bench and he's come into 2013 in decent form.
14. Kenny Cooper- It's just fantastic to have Cooper back in Dallas. Coming off an 18-goal season that was second highest in MLS last year, Cooper is one of the new faces of the franchise and should be here for quite a long time.
15. Eric Hassli - FC Dallas snagged the enigmatic French forward from TFC. He is still a bit behind the rest of the team in terms of fitness, but could start opening day next to Kenny Cooper.
16. Ugo Ihemelu - Will we ever see Ugo play for FC Dallas again? He will certainly remain associated with the club which is obviously a good thing, but his playing situation is a huge question mark.
17. Peter Luccin - Luccin is obviously a rostered player right now, but what to make of his knee injury? The team has been awfully quiet about this, but the situation doesn't look good right now. If Luccin has a serious knee injury, we will probably see him put on IR which would free up his roster spot.
18. Michel - 31-year-old Brazilian left back that FC Dallas is serious about. He seems to be almost a lock to sign with the club upon completion of the Portland trip.
19. Mickael Tavares - FCD has brought in the French-born Senegalese international most recently with Fulham after Luccin's injury. Tavares has a great resume, but will need to show something in Portland to prove he deserves a roster spot.
20. Ramon Nunez - Dallas-born attacking midfielder played for Schellas at SMU and returns to Dallas after suffering a serious knee injury with Leeds United. Schellas has said that he's still about a month away and that's coming off an ACL so in reality it could be two months. Still, when fully healthy Nunez has proved he's an MLS-capable player.
10 Man Developmental Roster
1. Kellyn Acosta - 17-year-old has earned high praise from Hyndman early in this pre-season. Seems unlikely that he will challenge for many first-team minutes this year, but he's an incredible talent.
2. Bradlee Baladez - Baladez has scored a few goals this pre-season against lesser opponents, but he'll need to prove it against MLS competition. Either way, he's certainly one for the future and I'll be very interested to see what he develops into towards the end of the season.
3. Matt Hedges - I assume the 22-year-old is still on the Developmental Roster as he's still under 24, though he could be on the senior roster. either way, he's a long-term starting option at center back for FCD.
4. Richard Sanchez - Young Mexican-American goalkeeper could be loaned out this year to Mexico or somewhere else as he focuses on preparation for the U20 World Cup and Qualifying.
5. Jonathan Top - The young forward just turned 20 years old, barely eligible for this year's U20 World cup cycle. A member of that US team, he could see his stock go up big time with a good tournament.
6. London Woodberry - Signed as a homegrown after four good years at Maryland, Woodberry provides instant depth at outside back. One for the future.
7. Walker Zimmerman - 2013 First round draft pick and Generation adidas member. Still about a month away from training, but there's no rush on him.
8. Victor Ulloa - Things are tightening up for Victor who really needs to show a step forward if he wants to stay on the team.
9. Kyle Zobeck - Schellas has been very complementary of the goalkeeper supplemental pick out of Valparaiso. With a possible loan of Richard Sanchez, it's looking increasingly likely Zobeck could make the squad.
10. Cam Wilder- Right now, I have Wilder as the last man to make the squad as he has shown flashes that he can play in a wing position where FC Dallas is incredibly thin. Hollingshead would push Wilder out, but I think he's ahead of TJ Nelson.
Ryan Hollingshead, TJ Nelson
As you can see, there are almost no spots left on the roster. Michel, Tavares and Nunez would bring the senior roster to 20 while signing any of the supplementals past Zobeck would bring the developmental squad to full. A loan of Richard Sanchez would free up one roster spot, but there's almost no room left as you can see.